Blues in the Schools: (BITS)
Mark has been an artist in the schools since 2001. Whether it is secondary, elementary or post secondary, large assembly performances or smaller class size workshops, Mark will tailor his visit to your needs as an educator.
Initially Mark got his start through the Toronto Blues Society – Blues In The Schools Program but has expanded to do workshops that go hand in hand with his festival appearances and Blues Societies around the country.
- Study of Blues History – Men and Women
- Harmonica History
- Blues Song Structure and Writing
- Working as an ensemble
Mark has worked with:
- Toronto Blues Society – BITS programming (extensive)
- Live With Culture – City of Toronto Grant (at risk neighbourhoods)
- Fredericton Jazz And Blues Festival
- Grand River Blues Society
- Thorald Public School
- Hawthorne II Alternative School
It’s no wonder Bird has been hosting the Junior Jam at Southside Shuffle – Main Stage and similar festivals for more than 10 yrs. His uncanny ability to engage the youth and encourage them to put their best foot forward with a performance with his band is something to witness. A festival treat.
- Southside Shuffle (Port Credit) – Artistic director Chuck Jackson
- Wasaga Beach Blues Festival
- Brampton Jazz And Blues Festival
- Fredericton Jazz And Blues Festival (kids harmonica workshop – with Watermelon Slim USA).